Saturday, September 15, 2012

pools of bethesda

During free time the other day, a few others and I were able to visit the Pools of Bethesda. I was a little surprised/disappointed when I realized that there is no longer water in the pools…but it was still spectacular and a great site. 

It was so easy for me to picture the area in times of Christ with lots of people in and surrounding the waters. I remembered the story of the lame man, who couldn’t reach the water on his own, that was helped by Christ to become whole again. It was wonderful to be reminded that He will always be there to help us reach our goals, desires, and potential. Whether physically or spiritually, we can rely on Him. Isn’t it amazing to know that our Savior is willing to do anything for us? He’s already done the unthinkable and would do it again. We cannot even come close to fully repaying Him, but we can do what we can in return. All he asks of us is to live the gospel and do what is right. It is a simple concept, yet sometimes difficult to follow through with. Why is that? We read stories in the scriptures of the children of Israel seeing time and time again the hand of the Lord in their lives, but continuing to revert to their old ways of disobedience. As readers, we can see the whole picture and easily point out the mistakes and aspects they can improve. But let us not forget that we’re imperfect as well. I’m sure people in heaven are looking at us thinking “why is modesty/attending church meetings/visiting teaching so difficult to follow through with? It’s so simple!” Isn’t it though? Just do what we’re supposed to be doing when we’re supposed to be doing them. End of story. Yet I find myself falling short at one time or another. Before we can point fingers at others for being imperfect or disobedient, we should look at ourselves and our lives first. There is always room for improvement. 

This was a humbling experience for me and a motivation to do and be better. When I can’t reach the water on my own, Christ is there to help me become whole again.

No comments:

Post a Comment