Tuesday, September 11, 2012

weaving factory

On our second field trip this semester, we visited the Lakiya Bedouin Weaving factory in the Negev desert. I absolutely loved it! It was as if we traveled back to times of Christ where everything was handmade. The things they wove were so intricate and beautiful; it’s amazing how talented they are. We learned the process of weaving , from making thread from the sheep’s wool, to knitting it into a rug. And let me tell you, it is not easy work. I’m sure you’re picturing an old lady sitting at home on her porch, casually and mindlessly knitting, just like I pictured it. But it’s nothing like that. It involves bending down, using muscle, and spending lots and lots of time. These women are tough. I gained so much respect for them after visiting their shop.
A bedouin woman demonstrating weaving.
handmade yarn.
sophie and me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment