Saturday, December 15, 2012

home

 
Well, I just returned from living in the Holy Land for 4 months…and they have been the best 4 months of my life. I’ve seen ancient churches, temples, synagogues, and mosques, but it’s not the sites that meant the most to me, but what each of them represented.
Everyone came to Jerusalem to be healed in one manner or another. In little ways throughout the semester, I’ve come to understand why I needed to be here.
I can’t sum up all the field trips, journeys, sites, and memories I’ve had there, but I can sum up the lessons I’ve learned by this experience.

1. Give everyone a chance.
I’ll admit, I had some judgments going into this program. I figured I would click with some people and some not so much. But after every conversation, I became more and more impressed. Each person was so unique with different talents and traits and ideas that I admired. Each person was significantly essential to the program, that without them, the whole dynamic would change. Valuable lessons can be learned from even the most unexpected people at the most unexpected times.  

2. I have a lot to learn.
I came into this program confident in my doctrinal and gospel knowledge expecting that I had a general basis of the Bible and things relating to church history. Boy was I wrong. After my first Old Testament quiz in Brother Schade’s class, I realized that there is much I didn’t know. This realization has only made me more eager to study and learn more than what I now know.

3. Be confident.
Whether it’s talking to strangers, exploring new places, or getting lost in a foreign country, being confident is key. Don’t be afraid to try new things. Do something until someone tells you to stop. If you don’t know something, ASK. People are generally very helpful and willing to do anything for you.

1 comment: